"Eyeball analysis of data" is sort of a slang phrase to mean the act of plotting a data set and observing its various peaks and slews and understanding its general behaviour.

I would be grateful if someone can tell me the Japanese equivalent of this expression.

Thanks.

The closest one would be:

[目測]{もくそく}

It means the act of measuring with the eye. Reference:英辞郎(dictionary)

You can use it like this: 目測で線を引く=draw line by eyeballing it.

It is often used in occasions like "eyeball the distance・height・length・(any measurable quality)" etc.

Practical usage proof(Japanese site):米倉研究室 | Yonekura Lab.

• Yep I just confirmed I am correct: link – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 9:47
  • Can someone tell me why my answer is downvoted? 目測 is definitely the word for it. – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 13:30
  • If your problem is with it being a verb (although its the same), I have just fixed it. – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 13:49

I might be wrong but I feel like the term 「目視検査」might be applicable here. If anyone else have a better alternative I would welcome your answers.

It is usually used in occasions like "check for defects with the eye" – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 9:32
  • It CANNOT be used to represent the idea of "getting information through estimation with the eye" – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 9:51
  • Its meaning is closer to: "Inspection with the eye" – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 9:52
  • Ok I understand your point. – Kanmani Jul 26 '17 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.