There's an exercise in which I shall write short sentences about the appearance of a few children displayed in small pictures. I wondered how a sentence expressing the following must be constructed:

"That girl with the beautiful, short dress and the long hair."

Here I have two entities in the appearance of this girl which I want to describe. They both have to be put into nominal phrases. Therefore, I think it would be something along these lines:

"あの長い髪の

(?)

綺麗で短い身なりの

女の子です。"

However, as indicated by the questionmark, I wonder how these two nominal phrases shall be connected. Is there another connective particle or the like necessary?

That girl with the beautiful, short dress and the long hair.

At first, the given phrase is a noun phrase, not a sentence because it has not a verb, so the interpretation for the phrase in Japanese must end with noun or "女の子 girl" not "です".

that girl with the beautiful, short dress and the long hair
= that girl with (the beautiful and short dress + the long hair)
= that girl with the beautiful and short dress + that girl with the long hair
= あの綺麗な短いドレスを着た女の子 + あの長い髪の女の子
= あの綺麗な短いドレスを着た(?)長い髪の女の子

Of course あの綺麗な短いドレス女の子 is also good instead of あの綺麗な短いドレスを着た女の子.

After filling in the blank indicated by the question mark, possible answers are like:
A: あの綺麗な短いドレスを着た、そして、長い髪の女の子
B: あの綺麗な短いドレスを着た長い髪の女の子 (or あの綺麗な短いドレス長い髪の女の子)

As for the part where the question mark is placed, そして for and is good like phrase A, but we usually connect the two nominal phrases like phrase B without using any connective particle or the like.

And, if we read phrase B or speak it aloud as a whole, we usually pause a moment just after the first phrase with "ドレスを着た or ドレスの" in order to show that the whole phrase is made up of two nominal phrases.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.