A: タワポン-さんの部屋はどこですか。 B: あのカーテンの閉まったへやです。

I think it translates into this: A: Which is the apartment of tawapon-san? B: That apartment with the closed curtains.

I wondered, why isn't the sentence built like this:

B: あの閉まったカーテンの部屋です。

At least to me, it seems to be less ambiguous than the original version, which on first sight could also translate into: B: That closed apartment with curtains.

A: タワポン-さんの部屋はどこですか。
B: あのカーテンの閉まったへやです。

B: あの閉まったカーテンの部屋です。

I think it translates into this: A: Which is the apartment of tawapon-san? B: That apartment with the closed curtains.

閉まったカーテン might be used in some context, but in this case, it's simply an unusual thing to hear to our native ears.

I think it's because the closed curtain is not something expected to be always that way. How would you say the same thing in your language?

The state of カーテンが閉まっている is the point that we naturally feel that we should say; we want to describe it as a (small but) clause with the subject and the predicate.

あのカーテンの[が]閉まった部屋です。

あのカーテンの[が]閉まっている部屋です。

These two are natural.

If it's あの赤いカーテンの部屋です, it works just fine. This is plain natural, but あのカーテンの赤い部屋です also works.

• Thanks! Your two examples reminded me of the respective point in the grammar section of my textbook! It is stated there that sometimes, the subject of a sentence element further specifiying a noun may sometimes be marked by の instead of が. I entirely forgot about it, thanks! – Narktor Jul 26 '17 at 11:25

TL;DR:

The original sentence is correct, yours are not correct.

There are many ways to achieve that and one of the way is through the use of 修飾語 in the form of 〜た+名詞。

In your example sentence:

あのカーテンの閉まったへやです。

If we parse the sentence it would be:

あの-> (カーテンの閉まった:部屋)+です。=The curtain-closed room.

Which successfully points out which room Mr. Tawapon is in.

However in your own sentence:

あの-> (閉まったカーテン) の 部屋 +です。=The room of the closed curtain.

It sounds like if the curtain owned the house, instead of Mr. Tawapon.

This may sound better to you : あのカーテン閉まった部屋

One more example will be: あのドアの開いた車

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.