The following examplatory sentence in the grammar section of my textbook: どうして医者になりたいんですか。 ...医者は人を助けるすばらしい仕事だからです。

It translates to (according to my textbook): Why do you want to become a medical doctor? ...Because medical doctor is a great job in which you help people.

What confuses me is that in the bold part, there is no connective form like て form or ます stem. I know plain form as a way to make a verbal expression an attribute to the related noun. In my textbook, it is said that a plain-form-sentence + からだ expresses the reason(s) for an event. However, is it necessary to omit other grammatical habits like the aforementioned て and ます form for chaining verbal expressions inside the respective clause? I just want to avoid being confused down the road when I'm encountering such constructions in the wild :D

どうして医者になりたいんですか。
...医者は人を助けるすばらしい仕事だからです。

It translates to (according to my textbook): Why do you want to become a medical doctor? ...Because medical doctor is a great job in which you help people.

in the bold part, there is no connective form like て form or ます stem.
I know plain form as a way to make a verbal expression an attribute to the related noun.

I think you are talking about 連体形{れんたいけい} here, and this grammar point is the answer to your case. The modifying adjective (すばらしい) might have caused your confusion. The noun that is modified by a relative clause can also take other adjectives.

医者は〔人を助ける〕〔(すばらしい)仕事〕だからです。

/

In my textbook, it is said that a plain-form-sentence + からだ expresses the reason(s) for an event. However, is it necessary to omit other grammatical habits like the aforementioned て and ます form for chaining verbal expressions inside the respective clause?

Yes, we say 助けるからだ to express a reason, and yes, to connect a verb with the particle て, or a helping verb like ます, た, etc., the verb form is conjugated to the particular form (連用形{れんようけい}): 助けてくれた, 助けます, 助けた, etc. So, this form is not to connect to a noun. It's like the English conjunction 'and': 彼は小さいころから親{おや}を助けて働{はたら}いた.

It should be parsed as:

医者は[人を助ける][すばらしい]仕事だからです。

人を助ける and すばらしい both modify the noun 仕事.
人を助ける is a relative clause here.

[人を助ける]仕事 = a job [in which you help people]
[すばらしい]仕事 = a [wonderful] job

You could also see it as [人を助ける(すばらしい仕事)], the relative clause 人を助ける modifying the noun phrase すばらしい仕事.

Hence the translation:

"Because medical doctor is a [wonderful] job [in which you help people]."

A few examples with the same structure:

• [友達に会える][楽しい]場所 -- a [pleasant] place [where I can see friends]
  • [私の部屋にある][かわいい]時計 -- a [cute] clock [in my room]
  • [あの子が履いている][赤い]くつ -- [red] shoes [that the girl is wearing]

I know plain form as a way to make a verbal expression an attribute to the related noun.

Correct. The plain form 助ける is the attributive form here and modifies the noun 仕事.

In my textbook, it is said that a plain-form-sentence + からだ expresses the reason(s) for an event.

Precisely. 「医者は(人を助ける)(すばらしい)仕事だ。」 is a plain-form-sentence. ~~からだ/~~からです added at the end means "Because~~" "It's because~~", indicating that the whole sentence is a reason for some event or action.

Because 助ける is used as a noun modifier of 仕事. When using a verb as noun modifier, it's always in plain form.

If you were to use the て form it becomes:
医者は人を助けて、すばらしい仕事だからです。 Which I think roughly translates into: "Doctors help people, because it's a great job."

医者は人を助けて、すばらしい仕事だからです doesn't sound very natural... and it doesn't mean "Doctors help people, because it's a great job", either. – Chocolate Jul 24 '17 at 13:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.