According to this site, buta appears to be the colloquial name of a "no pair". Is there such thing as a "no pair"? If not, what is it called in English?

  • 1
    I think this question is about English rather than Japanese. Try ell or english.stackexchange.com?
    – Yosh
    Commented Jul 24, 2017 at 7:46
  • @Yosh I wouldn't go there to ask the meaning of a Japanese word. Commented Jul 24, 2017 at 10:51
  • It turns out that I totally misread your intention. My apologies.
    – Yosh
    Commented Jul 24, 2017 at 12:41

1 Answer 1


According to List of poker hands, ノーペア is called "High Card" or "No Pair" in English.

Note that you may see some 和製英語 terms in poker and other Western-origin games. "Three of a kind" and "Four of a kind" are usually referred to as スリーカード and フォーカード, respectively, in Japanese. (Perhaps "-of-a-kind" was grammatically too difficult for Japanese people.)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .