Both of these words can be used to mean 'new', but one is loaned from English. I recall hearing somewhere that ニュー became a loanword because it has a slightly different meaning to 新しい, but what exactly is this difference?

The first thought that would come to mind for me would be that ニュー is slightly more casual-sounding, but that doesn't seem to me to be much of a reason as to why it'd become a loanword.

Difference in usage of 新しい and ニュー
The first thought that would come to mind for me would be that ニュー is slightly more casual-sounding, but that doesn't seem to me to be much of a reason as to why it'd become a loanword.

I think it's about the limited usage. デジタル大辞泉 has an entry for ニュー, and the use of おニューの(服 or etc.) was already old in my childhood, but I think most of us don't really consider ニュー as part of Japanese, comparing to ニュース that has very much become part of Japanese. I think it's just, as the dictionary page also says (#2), it's also used to modify a katakana word.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.