Recently I have been enjoying the show Chii Sanpou. I expect a few of you have seen or heard of it. The former actor walking around parts of Japan. The Japanese is a mix of casual and polite.

Anyway in one episode he spots something and the narrator says

何か、 見つけました?

which to me is an odd pattern. I think it is "what did you see?". It appears to be polite Japanese but the structure is not what I have been taught. I would have expected

何を見つけましたか?

I would like to know more about this other form. Is it appropriate for polite / formal Japanese or is it a bit slangy? Can I use it in business?

なにか means "something/anything".

見つけましたか? -- "What did you find?"
見つけましたか? -- "Did you find something/anything?"

The narration 「何か、見つけました?」 with a rising tone, with the question particle か dropped, can mean "Did he find anything?"
(「何か見つけました。」 with a falling tone would mean "He found something.")

It is the polite form / 丁寧形 and I don't think it's slangy. I think you can use it in business (though it might be more appropriate to use the honorific form / 尊敬語 depending on who performs the action).

Similar examples:

いましたか? (or いました?) -- Was anyone there?
いましたか? (or いました?) -- Who was there?

食べましたか? (or 食べました?) -- Did you eat anything?
食べましたか? (or 食べました?) -- What did you eat?

• Later on in the day I remembered that 何か is "something" and then I wondered if I misunderstood. But with か dropped I was still uncertain. So with the rising tone I am able to drop か... ok thank you – VictorySaber Jul 24 '17 at 7:56
  • Hi! Given that なにか means "something/anything", shouldn't the を particle still be used? In other words, shouldn't it be 何かを見つけましたか instead? Thanks in advance. – Pedro A Jul 24 '17 at 15:08
  • @Hamsteriffic I don't think 何か見つけましたか、誰かいましたか、何か食べましたか etc. are grammatically incorrect, but they don't sound very natural. 何か見つけましたか、誰かいましたか、何か食べましたか are more natural and more commonly used. – Chocolate Jul 25 '17 at 4:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.