As I understand it both にしたら and にとって mean "~ from the point of view of ~". What are the differences and if there is a similarity between either and として and is the difference between them ?

1 Answer 1

As I understand it both にしたら and にとって mean "~ from the point of view of ~". What are the differences and if there is a similarity between either and として and is the difference between them ?

As @Peri says, each of them means different.
として is basically 'as': 先生{せんせい}として働{はたら}く (work as a teacher).

にしたら has the sense of conditional. Yes, you have it right; it means something like "from someone's perspective." We would say ネコの身{み}にしたらいい迷惑{めいわく}というものだ. (From the perspective of the cat, it must be an annoyance.) We would also say ネコにしてみれば迷惑な話だろう. Actually, many similar expressions are possible: にすれば, からしたら, の立場に立ってみれば, etc. But all these tend to sound rather informal except maybe の立場からすると.

にとって is, yes, 'for/to' though we don't use this to mean 'made for'. We use this in, for example, 私にとって大切{たいせつ}な人です (S/He is important to me), or この街{まち}にとって観光産業{かんこうさんぎょう}は重要{じゅうよう}です (Tourism is important industry for this city), わが社にとって (For our company).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .