As I understand it both にしたら and にとって mean "~ from the point of view of ~". What are the differences and if there is a similarity between either and として and is the difference between them ?

As I understand it both にしたら and にとって mean "~ from the point of view of ~". What are the differences and if there is a similarity between either and として and is the difference between them ?

As @Peri says, each of them means different.
として is basically 'as': 先生{せんせい}として働{はたら}く (work as a teacher).

にしたら has the sense of conditional. Yes, you have it right; it means something like "from someone's perspective." We would say ネコの身{み}にしたらいい迷惑{めいわく}というものだ. (From the perspective of the cat, it must be an annoyance.) We would also say ネコにしてみれば迷惑な話だろう. Actually, many similar expressions are possible: にすれば, からしたら, の立場に立ってみれば, etc. But all these tend to sound rather informal except maybe の立場からすると.

にとって is, yes, 'for/to' though we don't use this to mean 'made for'. We use this in, for example, 私にとって大切{たいせつ}な人です (S/He is important to me), or この街{まち}にとって観光産業{かんこうさんぎょう}は重要{じゅうよう}です (Tourism is important industry for this city), わが社にとって (For our company).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.