If I were drinking English-style black tea, made by first placing a teabag in the cup, adding sugar, pouring boiling water on to it, stirring, adding milk, and stirring again, and a friend asked me, 「何飲んでる?」, would it be odd to reply, 「お茶だよ」? Would another term like ミルクティー be more appropriate?

Black tea is usually referred to as [紅茶]{こうちゃ}.

a friend asked me, 「何飲んでる?」, would it be odd to reply, 「お茶だよ」?

お茶 might be understood as Japanese tea (like, 麦茶 or 煎茶).

Would another term like ミルクティー be more appropriate?

Yes, ミルクティー is also common. So I'd recommend using 紅茶 or ミルクティー to avoid any confusion. 

(That said, you'd still say 「お茶しない?」「一緒にお茶でもどう?」 etc. to invite someone out for tea or coffee... here you don't mean you're gonna drink Japanese tea at a cafe.)

About your PS., that's the same in English. If someone asks you out for coffee, it's not required, or even expected, to actually order a coffee when you get to the cafe. That being said, not ordering anything will be considered somewhat strange. – Arthur Jul 21 '17 at 7:46
  • Relevant example – Cristol.GdM Jul 21 '17 at 8:52
  • Say 午後ティー as a joke. – Ignas Jul 23 '17 at 22:25

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.