So I have these lyrics:

...君が僕を忘れてしまっても ちょっと辛いけど… それでもいいから

I completely understand that line, but this one is troubling me

僕より先に どこか遠くに 旅立つことは 絶対 許さないから

I thought maybe it would parse like this

僕より先にどこか - Somewhere before me

遠くに旅立つことは絶対許さないから - The fact that you go away from me is unforgivable

And everything would be:

It's unforgivable that you go away from me, right before my eyes.

If i'm wrong and you can give some insight in why i'm parsing it wrong, if there's a "rule" I should follow, or something, when parsing. It would be great! (i'm not sure if 先にどこか遠くに should be together or not)

Thanks.

Source: http://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyrics/aimer/kataomoi/

I would parse it this way:

{僕より先に}{どこか遠くに}旅立つことは{絶対}許さないから

僕より先に (before me; before I do) and どこか遠くに (somewhere far away) both modify 旅立つ.

「Vことは許さない」(を in 「Vことを許さない」 is replaced by は) means "don't allow (someone) to do~~"

Put together,

"I'll never allow you to leave for somewhere far away before I do."

... I think 遠くに旅立つ implies "pass away" here.

• Thanks a lot, the weird thing for me here, is that I'm used that the noun usually comes after what is modifying it, eg: 静かな部屋, so I thought that どこか遠くに could not be write because the noun comes before, Do you have another sentence as an example with that construction? Thanks in advance – Felipe Oliveira Jul 20 '17 at 23:25
  • @FelipeOliveira 遠く is the noun form of 遠い and means "a far away place" (≂ 遠い場所/遠いところ)". 「An interrogative + か」 is placed before a noun / noun phrase), eg 「 何か食べ物をください。」「 誰か好きな人はいるの?」 – Chocolate Jul 20 '17 at 23:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.