In the english version of 神の子供たちはみな踊る (The Murakami collection of short stories with the english title "After the Quake") the ending line of the short story "All God's Children Can Dance" goes:

神様、と善也は口に出して言った。

Which I (and also the German translation) have always interpreted as: "God", Yoshiya said aloud. However, in the english translation it says:

"Oh God", Yoshiya said aloud.

Which I (without wanting to bother you with the rundown of the story) find to give the ending quite a different meaning.

I pretty much just want to ask; can "kamisama" be used as an exclamation of sort? Because if not, I find the translation to be kind of off.

Do you mean if it's usable as vocative? -- Then yes. – broccoli forest Jul 18 '17 at 17:56

Yes. That utterance of "神様" can be interpreted as addressing God (as opposed to just making reference to God), in which case the vocative "Oh" is justly employed in the translation.

日本語の「神様」は、「天にまします我らが父よ、」みたいに語りかけてる(vocative case)のであって、「おお、なんてこった」っていう意味(exclamation)じゃない、ってことでしょうかね、やっぱり。。 – Chocolate Jul 18 '17 at 22:40
  • うむむ・・・僕の現状理解では"vocation"と"exclamation"を全くの別物として見れないので、この「神様」がその2つの中のどちらか一方で、他方ではない、とも言えない感じです。ごめんなさい (><) – goldbrick Jul 18 '17 at 23:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.