An Anki deck I've downloaded is representing a word as "o-miyage" and "おーみやげ". The deck isn't using any kanji - it's based on JFBP book 1, which doesn't teach any kanji. I've hidden the romaji, so I'm only seeing "おーみやげ". I know the second character is intended to represent a hyphen, but it looks confusingly similar to the "ー" in "ラーメン".

Is there any notation used in the context of teaching of Japanese as a non-native language (or even outside that context!) to indicate prefixes such as bikago or suffixes such as "-や"?

Such hyphens should be much shorter than Japanese 長音記号 (long vowel marker). Here's how おみやげ and ラーメン should look in a dictionary entry (screenshot of goo辞書):

enter image description here

enter image description here

If you are really seeing a long bar as wide as a hiragana character between お and みやげ, it means the app you're using is bad. I can't help reading it as おおみやげ.

English em-dashes can be sometimes confusing, and Japanese people use a very long dash instead. See: Is Japanese em dash equal to Latin em dash?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.