Looking at the examples on WWWJDIC for using ために in sentences, I've noticed that whenever ために can follow a verb without the の particle, while の must be placed between ために and a preceding noun. For example, 「会社は生活するために十分な年金を与えた」does not have the の particle, while 「私達は世界の平和のために働いています」does. However, why is that the case? What function does の perform there?

That's a general rule in japanese, if you're going to connect a noun to something you need a particle, but after a verb you usually don't need one when using these words. That same thing happens when using ほうが、とき、ために, etc. 食べるほうがいい(it'd better to eat), オレンジのほうがいい(orange would be better) – Felipe Oliveira Jul 17 '17 at 14:50

I've noticed that whenever ために can follow a verb without the の particle, while の must be placed between ために and a preceding noun. For example, 「会社は生活するために十分な年金を与えた」does not have the の particle, while 「私達は世界の平和のために働いています」does. However, why is that the case? What function does の perform there?

Right. One usage of the particle is to connect nouns together, very similar to English 'of'.

while の must be placed between ために and a preceding noun.
「私達は世界の平和のために働いています」

This の is connecting two nouns, 平和 and ため. It's just the way we Japanese naturally say things; two nouns cannot be connected without a particle unless it can be considered as a compound noun.

Like @Felipe Oliveira is saying up there, in the expressions like 昨日のほうが、風のように also, の is connecting two nouns together: ほう and よう are nouns.

I've noticed that whenever ために can follow a verb without the の particle,
「会社は生活するために十分な年金を与えた」does not have the の particle,

If you are ready for other usages of の, here, this ため can be replaced with の; の represents a noun, and makes a phrase or clause right before it a noun, just like English 'that'.

生活するに十分な年金.

It might be more formal with ために than the replacement with の, it's not necessarily informal either.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.