So I was watching Hunter x Hunter episode 142, and at one point one of the characters is about to shoot a bunch of coins at the other, and he asks 君に渡すのは 何枚でしょう, which is correctly translated as "how many am I going to give back to you?". After he shoots them though, he answers his own question saying 答えはお死枚, which is translated as "enough to kill you". I've never seen a counter like 枚 be used in this way, but a part of me suspects this is a pun on 四枚, but the fact that he shoots far more than four coins leads me to believe this is false. Can someone explain what's going on here?

Maybe a pun for おしまい(お終い)? – Chocolate Jul 17 '17 at 5:04

Maybe a pun for おしまい(お終い)? – Chocolate

It is indeed a pun but not for お四枚.

For further information, this is a kind of [当て字]{あてじ} .

Among the heavy metal music circle, motorcycle gangs or even ordinary youngsters in Japan, this kind of [当て字]{あてじ} are often used as a kind of fashion or materials for designs. They would represent ordinary words with similar pronunciation but usually unpleasant, creepy or grotesque kanjis like:

• 聖飢魔Ⅱ sei-ki-ma-tsu (Ⅱ is two similar to tsu in Japanese) 世紀末{せいきまつ} the end of the century, a Japanese heavy metal band
  • 夜露死苦 yo-ro-shi-ku よろしく Nice meeting you.
  • 夜露死苦尾寝骸死魔酢駄個裸 yo-ro-shi-ku-o-ne-gai-shi-ma-su-da-kora よろしくお願{ねが}いしますだコラ Hey, please remember me. Hey, please help me. Hey, please treat me well.
  • 愛離我闘 a(?)-ri-ga-tou ありがとう Thank you!
  • 氣魔愚隷 ki-ma-gu-re きまぐれ whim, whimsy
  • 仏恥義理 butsu-chi-gi-ri ぶっちぎり off the charts, landslide, overwhelming, outright, resounding, sweeping, runaway
  • 栖威邪苦 su-i-ja-ku 衰弱{すいじゃく} breakdown, collapse, consumption, weakening, debility
  • 愛羅武勇 ai-ra-bu-yuu アイラブユー I love you!
  • 鬼流汰威無 ki-ru-ta-i-mu キルタイム kill time
  • 出羅苦栖 de-ra-ku-su デラクス deluxe

enter image description here

I think to further explain Chocolate and mackygoo's conclusions:

答えはお死枚

If a counter for flat-objects such as coins or paper is 枚, you'd quantify as 一枚, 二枚, 三枚, 四枚(read as よんまい!), 何枚, etc.

(お)死枚 can then be, as a quantifier, "enough for death."

That, and, お終い is a way of expressing "ending" someone.

Hence, the pun: "The answer is 'enough to kill/end you'"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.