So I was watching Hunter x Hunter episode 142, and at one point one of the characters is about to shoot a bunch of coins at the other, and he asks 君に渡すのは 何枚でしょう, which is correctly translated as "how many am I going to give back to you?". After he shoots them though, he answers his own question saying 答えはお死枚, which is translated as "enough to kill you". I've never seen a counter like 枚 be used in this way, but a part of me suspects this is a pun on 四枚, but the fact that he shoots far more than four coins leads me to believe this is false. Can someone explain what's going on here?

Maybe a pun for おしまい(お終い)?
    – chocolate
    Jul 17, 2017 at 5:04

2 Answers 2

Maybe a pun for おしまい(お終い)? – Chocolate

It is indeed a pun but not for お四枚.

For further information, this is a kind of [当て字]{あてじ} .

Among the heavy metal music circle, motorcycle gangs or even ordinary youngsters in Japan, this kind of [当て字]{あてじ} are often used as a kind of fashion or materials for designs. They would represent ordinary words with similar pronunciation but usually unpleasant, creepy or grotesque kanjis like:

• 聖飢魔Ⅱ sei-ki-ma-tsu (Ⅱ is two similar to tsu in Japanese) 世紀末{せいきまつ} the end of the century, a Japanese heavy metal band
  • 夜露死苦 yo-ro-shi-ku よろしく Nice meeting you.
  • 夜露死苦尾寝骸死魔酢駄個裸 yo-ro-shi-ku-o-ne-gai-shi-ma-su-da-kora よろしくお願{ねが}いしますだコラ Hey, please remember me. Hey, please help me. Hey, please treat me well.
  • 愛離我闘 a(?)-ri-ga-tou ありがとう Thank you!
  • 氣魔愚隷 ki-ma-gu-re きまぐれ whim, whimsy
  • 仏恥義理 butsu-chi-gi-ri ぶっちぎり off the charts, landslide, overwhelming, outright, resounding, sweeping, runaway
  • 栖威邪苦 su-i-ja-ku 衰弱{すいじゃく} breakdown, collapse, consumption, weakening, debility
  • 愛羅武勇 ai-ra-bu-yuu アイラブユー I love you!
  • 鬼流汰威無 ki-ru-ta-i-mu キルタイム kill time
  • 出羅苦栖 de-ra-ku-su デラクス deluxe

enter image description here

I think to further explain Chocolate and mackygoo's conclusions:

答えはお死枚

If a counter for flat-objects such as coins or paper is 枚, you'd quantify as 一枚, 二枚, 三枚, 四枚(read as よんまい!), 何枚, etc.

(お)死枚 can then be, as a quantifier, "enough for death."

That, and, お終い is a way of expressing "ending" someone.

Hence, the pun: "The answer is 'enough to kill/end you'"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .