The only thing I remember is that the て form may mean "and" but and in this context have no sense.

enter image description here

Your confusion came from assuming the subject of こまって was 学校のべんきょう, (rather than how to interpret the て) no? It's implied 私は, as in 私は 、学校のべんきょうがむつかしくて、こまっています。 "The study at school is difficult, and/so I'm in trouble."
    – Chocolate
    Jul 17 '17 at 3:09

学校の べんきょうが むずかしくて、 (......)います。

The only thing I remember is that the て form may mean "and" but and in this context have no sense.

The use of て is not limited to mean 'and'.
In this case it's used to indicate the reason of the conclusion of the predicate.

2 原因・理由を表す。…ので。…ために。「頭が痛くて寝ていた」(デジタル大辞泉 | て | 1-2

• So it works as a から? how do I know when using what? Jul 16 '17 at 22:31
    Yes, から works as ので: むずかしいから/むずかしいので. I see that the conjugation of むずかしい is different. They just come to us without any effort though... How? Keep your dictionary handy. :)
    – karlalou
    Jul 16 '17 at 22:44

In this context, it means something along the lines of "so difficult". So the first part of the sentence reads,

My studies for school are so difficult, I'm frustrated.

I'll leave for you to figure out which verb to use.

• I know the answer, is こまって but I still don't understand why is the て形 used Jul 16 '17 at 20:54
    it creates the meaning of "so ..."
    – A.Ellett
    Jul 16 '17 at 20:58
  • So the translation would be? Jul 16 '17 at 21:03
  • I think you tried to mean 'so' in "[reason], so [conclusion]", but this て is more like the 'because' in "because [reason], [conclusion]." :)
    – karlalou
    Jul 16 '17 at 21:25
    @karlalou i meant "so" as in "so difficult that i got frustrated".
    – A.Ellett
    Jul 16 '17 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.