I often hear this from animations and read it among users when making jokes on the internet, but I wonder exactly: what's the difference between yamero and yamete?

Of the two やめろ (yamero) is the bossier one. やめて (yamete) comes across a bit softer; it's basically やめてください (yamete kudasai) minus the ください (kudasai). やめろ (yamero) is actually the imperative form of the verb, hence the pushy sense it can give off.

やめて (yamete) sounds like something a girl might say, but certainly isn't restricted to girls;  やめろ (yamero) sounds like something either guys would say to each other, or someone (anyone) might say to someone who's really not getting the idea that they need to stop.

I wouldn't say やめて sounds feminine, just softer. I've heard plenty of guys say it. – Kurausukun Jul 16 '17 at 20:11
  • Sorry, can you transcribe them in romaji too? – Fabián Jul 17 '17 at 0:24
  • @Fabián i've add romaji and incorporated kurausukun's comment – A.Ellett Jul 17 '17 at 0:31
    Wouldn't it be good to add やめなさい, just in case? I'm not sure how further you can answer since he was specific about  やめて、やめろ – Felipe Oliveira Jul 17 '17 at 13:00

protected by Community Jun 20 at 11:17

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.