I'm trying to translate the actor's speech from this clip.

Now I got stuck at 0:54 where he said

もう本当に今回やっぱ縁下(えんのした)として、元々やっぱ原作って前も言ったように描かれていない部分がすごい多いんで、その分、やっぱり、皆をどうやってサポートしようかな、どうやって皆を立てたい、立てれるとこ立てようかな とかすごい考えた時に、まあ本当に微々たる所でやってくしか無いんだなと思って

I was wondering about the meaning 立て in the above sentence. I did look up the dictionary and the reason I thought 立て = to stand is because they are the stage actor, so they need to think about how they should stand on the stage.

At first I thought he meant

皆をどうやってサポートしようかな、どうやって皆を立てたい

= How should I support everyone?, How I want everyone to stand?

立てれるとこ立てようかな とかすごい考えた時に

= Where can everyone stand?

and I couldn't grasp the meaning of the rest.

According to the comment below, I assume that 立て here do not mean "to stand",

and each of them probably has a different meaning?

but there are several meanings on both Jishou and on weblio I still could not make any senses out of these meaning, which is why I decided to reach out for help.

Did you look up the word? It is being used for a very common meaning. Forget "to stand". – l'électeur Jul 15 '17 at 12:42
    See definition #6 in jisho: jisho.org/search/%E7%AB%8B%E3%81%A6%E3%82%8B and Weblio: ejje.weblio.jp/content/… – l'électeur Jul 15 '17 at 13:33
    Well.., isn't it understandable to have a trouble knowing what to look for in dictionaries? – karlalou Jul 15 '17 at 13:42
  • 立てたい, 立てれる & 立てよう are all have single root 立てる。So that it is possible to say どうやって皆を立てたい => How should I do to [respect] everyone? – Tetsuya Yamamoto Jul 15 '17 at 22:41
  • @TetsuyaYamamoto That makes more sense now, but I was still confused about the latter part 立てれるとこ立てようかな. Is it something like "How can I do now to respect them and How will I respect them? – Maru Jul 15 '17 at 23:24

The 立てる here means "to make (someone) look good".

皆をどうやってサポートしようかな、どうやって皆を立てたい

どうやって皆を立てたい is ungrammatical. I think he meant to say どうやって皆を立てようかな "How can I make others/everyone look good?" or maybe どうかして皆を立てたい "I want to make others/everyone look good in some way".

As you know, どうやって~~ようかな means "I wonder how I should/can..." "How can/should I...?"

立てれるとこ立てようかな とかすごい考えた時に

立てれるとこ is a colloquial, collapsed form of 立てれるとこ(ろ).
立てられるところ = The part (in them) that I can make look good (立てられる modifies ところ.)
The られる is potential.

『皆をどうやってサポートしようかな、どうやって皆を(立てたい→立てようかな)、立て(ら)れるとこ(を)立てようかな』とかすごい考えた時に...

lit. When I thought/wondered hard "How can I support them, how can I make them look good, how can I make the part (in them) that I can make look good look good"...
→ When I really thought/wondered "How can I support them, how can I make them look good, how should I make them look good when I can / as much as I can"...

• The above comment said this 立てる has a very common meaning. May I ask for future references how did you guys know 立てる here did not mean "to stand" like what is the main pinpoint here? – Maru Jul 16 '17 at 13:20
    We know it cos we are more often in need to 立てる others in Japan, maybe?? Like.. we are supposed to 立てる our superiors, sempai, the elderly, mother-in-law... – Chocolate Jul 17 '17 at 1:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.