I have some confusion I want to clarify. I understand that to combine adjective we need to use で for な adjective and て form of い adjective. So I'm pretty sure that these sentences below are correct.

暖かくておいしいです - It's warm and delicious.
きれいで有名な彼女 - A beautiful & popular girl.

What I want to clarify are...

1. I wasn't sure how to combine い and な adjective together... Can I do this?

暖かくてきれいで有名な人です - A warm, beautiful and popular person.

2. Since な adjective is basically a noun, could we use と to combine them?

あの彼女はきれいと有名です - That girl is beautiful and popular.

3. I wasn't sure if this is correct

高くておいしくなかったです - It was expensive and didn't taste good

1. Yes, you can combine both types of adjectives like that.

2. No, you can't. You have to use で.

3. Yes, that's a correct sentence. When you join two verbs using -て, ない may be applied to the two verbs as a set (see the discussion here), depending on the context. I don't think the same thing happens for two adjectives. Nevertheless, while this sentence makes sense as-is, I feel it's safer to add a comma after the first adjective.

高くて、おいしくなかったです。

Based from the findings:

1. 暖かくてきれいで有名な人です combines both i-adjectives & na-adjectives. To apply this rule, just think which one is going first (i.e. i-adjective, so that 暖かい becomes 暖かくて).

2. あの彼女はきれいと有名です is incorrect usage of "と" because combining both na-adjectives requires "te-form" (picking きれいで and dropping -な at first adjective) instead of "と" particle which only used for nouns and noun phrases. So then the correct sentence should be あの彼女はきれいで有名です。

3. 高くておいしくなかったです indeed is a right sentence. The first i-adjective (高い) & second i-adjective (おいしい, using negative past form ーなかった) joined together, requires first adjective to be transformed into ーくて form (i.e. 高くて). This similar construction apply for 面白い, 暑い & other i-adjectives.

However there is one exception when combining i-adjectives: いい related suffix replaced with よくて because derived from 良い & following same conjugation with it, e.g. かっこいい => かっこよくて.

Example: あの彼女は、お金持ちで、かっこよくて、有名です。 => That girl is rich, handsome & popular.

NB: かっこいい is abbreviated form of two words merged in one: 格好 & いい. On the other hand, we know that 嫌い is another exception which this word derived from 嫌う, and it follows na-adjective rules (嫌いで, not 嫌い + くて).

暖かくておいしいです - It's warm and delicious.
きれいで有名な彼女 - A beautiful & popular girl.

These are grammatical. (Just 彼女 is a pronoun for a known girl though.)

1. I wasn't sure how to combine い and な adjective together... Can I do this?
かくてきれいで有名な人です - A warm, beautiful and popular person.

It's grammatical. The Japanese and English versions exactly say the same thing.

But because of the word 有名, I tend to expect it to explain the reason of being famous like 温かくてきれいなことで有名な人です.
Another example for you: 静かで真面目で落ち着いた人です.

2. Since な adjective is basically a noun, could we use と to combine them?
あの彼女はきれいと有名です - That girl is beautiful and popular.

It's ending up saying "She is the beauty and fame itself" because you treated them as nouns.
I tend to expect it something like these:

きれいだと言われています or きれいだということで有名です。

温かいと言われています or 安い/おいしいということで有名です。

-

3. I wasn't sure if this is correct
高くておいしくなかったです - It was expensive and didn't taste good

It's good, but a trick to make it smoother is ありません.
高くておいしくないです >> 高くておいしくありません。
高くておいしくなかったです >> 高くておいしくありませんでした。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.