I encountered the following as I was reading chapter 29 of the manga かぐや様は告らせたい (images of the section are linked below if it matters). The lines are stated by a very cynical, depressive type character who has a irrational and jealous hatred toward members of sports clubs.

あぁほんと・・・

全員 死なねー

かな・・・・

I would have translated this to something like: Yeah, really...I wonder if they're all not dead..

Now, I sincerely doubted that that was correct since it didn't make any sense at all so I consulted the fan translation:

Yeah... Maybe... They should all just die...

This translation makes more sense to me and I assume it is a valid translation.

Could someone please explain the grammar (although I'm certain there is some slang involved) that caused 死なねー (死なない presumably) to be given a positive meaning?

Japanese panel
English panel

This ねー is ない as you've correctly guessed. かな is usually "I wonder ~", but (ない)かな often expresses one's wish. 全員死なねーかな means "I wish they all die."

かな

3 (「ないかな」の形で)願望の意を表す。「だれか代わりに行ってくれないかな」「早く夜が明けないかな」

This translates to a positive English sentence because ~ないかな is essentially a rhetorical question like "Why not ~?". You can choose whichever fits better in the context, between "I wish ~" or "I wonder (if) ~". See this related question, too.

Some more examples:

• 空を飛べないかな。
  • どこかに1億円落ちてないかな。
  • はやくクリスマスが来ないかな。

Sorry, I discord about the wish. It's not an resolute wish. It's more like "if possible, it would be great"

There are 2 meanings for this construction ~ないかな, "I think ... not ..." (negative opinion) and "I wonder..." (desire)
It also depends on the construction before:

• 私、空を飛べないかな
    I wonder if I can fly
  • 私は、空は飛べないかな
    I think I can't fly

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.