I am wondering how I express my feelings about an action that has already occurred/been performed.

For example, how would I state the following:

• I am happy to have returned home.
  • I am sad that I missed the train.
  • I am upset that I finished the apples.

My best guess for the first example is the following:
帰った【かえった】ことが嬉しい【うれしい】。

However, I am unsure about my usage of こと. If it is correct are there other ways of writing this kind of sentence that I should be aware of?

I know that の is also used for verb nominalisation but as far as I could find online that would be wrong since the two actions are being performed at different points in time, right?

what are your attempts at forming these sentences with those sentiments? – A.Ellett Jul 12 '17 at 2:15
  • My best attempt at the first one is: 帰ったことが嬉しい。 But I'm not sure if I'm using こと correctly in this context; I'm also a little unsure of my usage of the word 帰る but that's a different issue. Even if that is correct, are there other ways of phrasing it that I should be aware of? – Jon D Jul 12 '17 at 2:22
  • @JonathanDiGiacomo Please incorporate your attempts into your question otherwise people would think it a simple translation request. – broccoli forest Jul 12 '17 at 2:28
  • @broccoliforest sorry for failing to do that originally. I can see how my question sounded like a translation request. – Jon D Jul 12 '17 at 2:45
    Te-form for reason works fine. – naruto Jul 12 '17 at 4:19

Yes, your use of ~た + こと construction is correct. You can express the sentiment about an event that happened in the past at the moment of feeling.

• 家に帰れた[こと/の]‌がうれしい。
    *Equivalent of "happy that --" is typically expressed with potential form, especially for the action of yourself.
  • 電車を逃【の】がした[こと/の]‌が残念だ。
  • りんごを全部食べてしまったことにうろたえている。

However, the sentiment toward what has (just) happened is simply described with the successive function of te-form.

• 家に帰れうれしい。
  • 電車を逃がし(てしまっ)残念だ。
  • りんごを全部食べてしまっうろたえている。
    "happy that V" は happy that SV か happy to V じゃなくて・・? – Chocolate Jul 12 '17 at 7:00
  • @Chocolate そうですよね。それから、「たことが+形容詞」と「て+形容詞」と、どちらが有り勝ちでしょうか。「て」の方が、聞くことが良くありますが、「たこと」というのは聞いたことないと思います。。。 – Right leg Jul 12 '17 at 8:10
  • @Chocolate ほんとですね。SVのつもりだったのですが動詞のことしか考えてませんでしたw – broccoli forest Jul 12 '17 at 8:40
  • @Rightleg 回答の通り、二つの表現の間にはニュアンスの差があるので、いつでも交換して使えるわけではありません。よく使われるのは「て」の方だと思います。 – broccoli forest Jul 12 '17 at 8:48

How to express feelings about a performed action?

I am happy to have returned home.
I am sad that I missed the train.
I am upset that I finished the apples.

帰ったことが嬉しい is not wrong, but we don't really say it.

I think what you are looking for is ~してよかった, or ~できてうれしい.
This is the way we say it.

帰れて良かった, literally saying "It's good that I've been able to have come back."

電車に乗り遅れて悲しい。乗れなくて残念。It seems it's always natural to say ~して悲しい, ~してがっかり, ~できなくて残念。

食べてしまって自分が腹立たしい。
mm.. more realistically, it might be 食べてしまった。悲しい。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.