I hear this a lot in song lyrics, and I just can't figure out what a "hot chest" is supposed to mean.

A good guess might be using the meaning of 胸が熱くなる (dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/215773/meaning/m0u) to interpret 熱い胸 – binom Jul 10 '17 at 1:43
    You should have looked up 胸 in a good dictionary first. – l'électeur Jul 10 '17 at 9:50
  • @l'électeur I did. In two different dictionaries. Yes, they do say heart as a secondary definition, but not the first one. Do you blame me? – The Panda Jul 10 '17 at 17:22
    胸 is chest first. But, 胸 is also heart by context, because the heart is "in the chest". If your "chest is hot" it's because of a "burning passion in your heart", right? Also, @l'électeur, don't be so curt. That attitude doesn't help people trying to understand things. – psosuna Jul 10 '17 at 21:23

As for the definition 胸, it means chest is partially correct. To tell you the truth, 胸 has various meanings besides chest.
In my dictionary, 胸 is defined as:
1. the chest, the breast, the bosom
2. the breasts
3. the heart, the lungs
4. one's heart, one's mind
In the case of 熱い胸, 胸 means neither some organ nor part of the body, but the place where man's feeling is supposed to exist.

"熱い胸":
Literally the phrase means the hot heart, and it means elevated emotions.
In the site shown by binom's comment, there is a sentence "胸が熱くなる", that is a sentence closely corresponding to "熱い胸", which means "someone is moved by something so they become in the state of elevated emotions."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.