I hear this a lot in song lyrics, and I just can't figure out what a "hot chest" is supposed to mean.

A good guess might be using the meaning of 胸が熱くなる (dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/215773/meaning/m0u) to interpret 熱い胸
    – binom
    Jul 10, 2017 at 1:43
    You should have looked up 胸 in a good dictionary first.
    – user4032
    Jul 10, 2017 at 9:50
  • @l'électeur I did. In two different dictionaries. Yes, they do say heart as a secondary definition, but not the first one. Do you blame me?
    – The Panda
    Jul 10, 2017 at 17:22
    胸 is chest first. But, 胸 is also heart by context, because the heart is "in the chest". If your "chest is hot" it's because of a "burning passion in your heart", right? Also, @l'électeur, don't be so curt. That attitude doesn't help people trying to understand things.
    – psosuna
    Jul 10, 2017 at 21:23

1 Answer 1

As for the definition 胸, it means chest is partially correct. To tell you the truth, 胸 has various meanings besides chest.
In my dictionary, 胸 is defined as:
1. the chest, the breast, the bosom
2. the breasts
3. the heart, the lungs
4. one's heart, one's mind
In the case of 熱い胸, 胸 means neither some organ nor part of the body, but the place where man's feeling is supposed to exist.

"熱い胸":
Literally the phrase means the hot heart, and it means elevated emotions.
In the site shown by binom's comment, there is a sentence "胸が熱くなる", that is a sentence closely corresponding to "熱い胸", which means "someone is moved by something so they become in the state of elevated emotions."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .