This is a two-part question.

First of all, I'm trying to determine the meaning of 「幼児じみた」in the following sentence:

スプーンを四十五度の角度でお碗{わん}にすべりこませ、大きく口を開ける時のマンフレッドのどこか幼児じみた仕草{しぐさ}を思い出した。

It seems like it could mean either "childish" or "childlike", but since the former has a negative connotation, I want to make sure I'm understanding the nuance.

Secondly, what exactly is the purpose of 「どこか」just prior to 幼児じみた?

Thanks for the help.

How old is マンフレッド? That would automatically determine for which meaning 幼児じみた is being used. Jul 10 '17 at 1:47
    We don't use 子供らしい /幼児らしい for someone who's not a 子供/幼児, do we... ↓
    – Chocolate
    Jul 10 '17 at 1:48
    @Chocolate That is what I meant to imply with my comment. Jul 10 '17 at 1:55
  • @l'électeur He is an adult, so I'm guessing that in this case it would imply "childish"?
    – TFlo83
    Jul 10 '17 at 4:40

どこか幼児じみた仕草しぐさを思い出した。

It seems like it could mean either "childish" or "childlike", but since the former has a negative connotation, I want to make sure I'm understanding the nuance.

Secondly, what exactly is the purpose of 「どこか」just prior to 幼児じみた?

Yes, the word 幼児じみた means childish and is rather disapproving. Especially, 幼児 is a small child, aged like around two to five. If it meant approvingly childlike, we have other expressions such as 幼児らしい.

どこか is, as literally means somewhere, used when you can't really pinpoint where it is, but you find something to someone or something. I'd say it's actually closer to somewhat or somehow.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.