ok to make it short; my senpai called me tennen; I am forgetful person and I always do a lot of mistakes so I assume he means I am stupid based on its dictionary meaning but according to my other coworker it is not that bad compared to being called あほ or バカ so I am still confused.

It's not very insulting compared to actually calling someone an idiot. Rather than something blunt and harsh like "stupid," I'd probably translate it as something closer to "airhead" or "absentminded." – Kurausukun Jul 9 '17 at 10:37
  • I see being absentminded is not that harsh than saying your an idiot I am kinda worried cause I always do a lot of mistakes and forgetting lot of things – sushimaster Jul 9 '17 at 10:42
    「天然」と「天然ボケ」は、同じ?違う?Anyone? – Chocolate Jul 9 '17 at 14:55
    @Chocolate 文脈にもよりますが、ただ「(人名)は天然だ」という場合はほとんど「天然ボケ」の略でしょうね。「あいつの毒舌は天然だ」と言った場合は、文字通り「素、生まれつき」という意味ですが… – broccoli forest Jul 9 '17 at 15:34

天然

I think it describes a person or person's character that the result of acting without intended attempt is out of common sense of ordinary people; especially when the result is biased to the heartwarming or acceptable side.

天然 can mean "natural", but in this case it's "airhead" as a shortened version of 天然ボケ "natural fool". It just means that you're not actually dumb or something, but maybe exhibiting a careless nature? Something akin to a lot of "oh yeah..." moments.

I remember the meaning of 天然 described to me as a person who makes silly mistakes by my teacher. An example would be a person who looks themselves out of their car or apartment regularly.

I think 天然 roughly means "naive".

Calling someone 天然 is not offensive; 天然 is not offensive word

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.