So 「バスに乗って、会社に行きます。」means "I go to work by bus." Yet, 「バスで会社に行きます。」also means "I go to work by bus."

Do these two sentences convey the exact same meaning, or is there some kind of nuance that exists when using で instead of te form (for this kind of situation in general)?

• Usually we say 「バスで会社に行きます」or simply 「バスで行きます」. Though 「バスに乗って、会社に行きます」is substantially the same meaning but it sounds verbose in daily conversation. – mackygoo Jul 8 '17 at 4:09
  1. 「バスに乗って、会社に行きます。」
  2. 「バスで会社に行きます。」

Indeed, the two sentences virtually mean the same thing, but I can't generalize anything here. #1 literally says "I get on a bus, and go to the office," and the #2 literally says "I go to the office by bus."

テ形 (te-form) is the form to continue the sentence. て is like conjunction 'and'.
で has many usages, but basically indicates a means, like the preposition 'by'.

Those are practically same sentences. But in theory latter could mean that you are driving the bus by yourself. That is something you can know from the context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.