This question already has an answer here:

しかもこんなオマケまで見られるんなら、ほんと、子供の頃にも遊びに来るんだったなって

Furthermore, if i were able to see this kinda of bonus (sunset) , honestly, i (should have?) came here to play when i was a kid.

There is an entry for なう meaning "to do" as a suffix, but how does it convey the meaning that i think it conveys in this sentence?

should have = んだったなって ?

marked as duplicate by Chocolate, Dono, broccoli forest, user3856370, Blavius Jul 13 '17 at 14:38

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

it's not なう but rather ...だったなと[おもう]. at least that's how i would read this. where な is the sentence ending particle な. – A.Ellett Jul 7 '17 at 23:19
  • See also: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/41452/9831 – Chocolate Jul 8 '17 at 6:00
    The ん (contraction of の) in 来るだった is not the noun もの "thing", but the particle の. – Chocolate Jul 8 '17 at 6:04

しかもこんなオマケまで見られるんなら、ほんと、子供の頃にも遊びに来るんだったなって

Furthermore, if i were able to see this kinda of bonus (sunset) , honestly, i (should have?) came here to play when i was a kid.

should have = んだったなって ?

As A.Ellett says, it's だったなと[おもう].
It's a contraction of 遊びに来るのだったなと(思う). It's the same as 遊びに来ればよかったなと思う, so you guessed right and it's saying "I should have come to play here when I was a kid."

And we never really say these, but I think this の is representing もの, 'things'.
来るんだったな(<来るのだったな<来るものだったな=来るべきものだったな=)来ればよかったな

• ah i see thanks, one of the the more cryptic contractions i've come upon – charu Jul 8 '17 at 1:06
  • with something like 正直言えば、だったらいいなって希望だけだ, is the なって here also と思う/と思って? – charu Jul 10 '17 at 2:33
  • Hi charu, It's basically the same, but this one, unlike the above one, is not the end of the sentence; it has 希望だけだ. So, it would make it more natural if it's rephrased as だといいなという希望だけだ. The above one, 遊びに来るんだったなって, is an example which ended the sentence without saying the verb. I suspect the speaker has said something like "私、思います" right before that sentence. – karlalou Jul 10 '17 at 3:08
  • is this also the case where " な is the sentence ending particle な" as well? – charu Jul 10 '17 at 21:01
  • Ah... right. な in 来るんだったなって, よかったな, いいなって, whether with or without って, they are all the same particle, 終助詞; the ending pargicle, and in these cases it expresses wishes or feeling of admiration or surprise. – karlalou Jul 10 '17 at 21:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.