Is using the honorific postfix -氏{し} usaged biased towards men or is it equally appropriate to be used for women as well?

Building from this excellent answer about honorifics: What does 氏 mean after a name, how is it different from さん or 様?

There used to be a clear bias toward men, but today you can safely use 氏 for women as well. If you read articles written in the Meiji or Taisho period, you'll probably see 氏 used for men and 女史 for women with a high social status. I found an example here. Note that horizontal sentences were written from right to left in those days.

Today, 女史 has almost fallen out of use, and 氏 has become almost completely gender-neutral.

That said, 氏 tends to be preferred for a person with a higher social status. You may find a recent interview article where 氏 is used for a male CEO and さん is used for his wife and daughters.

Here's a relevant explanation on Wikipedia (From 敬称):

氏(し)

肩書きを別にして紹介する時に使用し、一般的に話し言葉ではあまり使われず、書き言葉または報告や報道といった改まった場面で用いる。主として男性に用いることが多かったが、現在では女性に対して用いることも多い

女史(じょし)

社会的な地位が高い女性に対して用いる(本来は男性に用いる「氏」に対応した女性用の敬称だったが、男性と対等な女性とは、かつてはすべて社会的に高い地位を獲得した女性だけだった)。現在では古風な表現。場合によってはやや揶揄的に用いられる。

Interesting bit of history. I only ever hear/read it in news reports, and even then only with respect to people who don't have another title that can be appended to their name. I get the (not necessarily justified) impression that it serves as a replacement for さん in contexts where the latter would sound to casual but no other appropriate title is available. – Philippe Jul 5 '17 at 12:09
  • These 氏 and 女史 were reassigned or created to translate Mr. and Ms. in English. – user4092 Jul 5 '17 at 22:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.