Context: in a manga a girl kisses a boy. He is so scared that he pushes her away. Then the girl says (I divided the sentences as they are divided in the balloons):

あぁ… ファーストキス?ゴメンゴメン。/ でも傷つくなぁー そんなに怯えられるなんて… / 性で何かあった?

I know that 傷つく is an intransitive verb, but I don't understand who is the subject here. Which of the following translations is the correct one?

1. If you get so scared, it means you are wounded (inside)... Did you have a bad experience with sex?

2. I feel hurt that you got so scared... Did you have a bad experience with sex?

• I feel like your own translation of そんなに怯えられる to "you get so scared" might be preventing you from understanding the subject for 傷つく. – l'électeur Jul 5 '17 at 0:51
  • BTW did you copy "性で何かあった" correctly? It doesn't look very natural to me. – naruto Jul 5 '17 at 3:26
  • @l'électeur You mean it should be translated as "you were so scared (by me)" instead? – Marco Jul 5 '17 at 4:22
  • @naruto Yes, I checked again and I copied it correctly. – Marco Jul 5 '17 at 4:22

The subject of 傷つく ("to get hurt") is the girl herself, and your second interpretation is correct. 怯えられる here is so-called 迷惑の受け身, which is another hint that the girl feels hurt.

To say "you are wounded", at least ~ている is needed because 傷つく is a punctual (instant state-change) verb. "そんなに怯えて(い)るなんて、(心が)傷ついて(い)るんだね。" or something similar would mean the first one.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer and for the 迷惑の受け身 link, I had never heard about it. – Marco Jul 5 '17 at 4:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.