I think I've only seen this usage in anime and manga so not sure how common it is in real life. Sometimes に seems to be used as "and", usually (always?) with people, e.g. something like:

田中に黒田じゃないか!
Well, if it isn't Tanaka and Kuroda!

Is this one of the inherent (but uncommon) meaning of に, some remnant of old grammar like が/の reversal, or something else altogether?

This usage of に is not limited to people.

I think に expresses a combination or a meaningful set rather than a simple list. For example, 「ご飯に納豆。」 by itself can imply "Natto goes well with (cooked) rice", whereas 「ご飯と納豆。」 is simply "(It's) rice and natto." In other words, saying に implies the list is somehow incomplete without the remaining unsaid part. In 田中に黒田's case, the sentence slightly emphasizes the fact they came in a twosome, which might be strange or surprising to the speaker. Maybe it's like slightly adding the nuance of "what's more" in English.

I don't think this usage of に is particularly archaic. It sounds rhythmical and emphatic, though. This construction used to emphasize a verb may be relevant.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.