Amusingly enough, it seems like by swapping the kanji in 始終 you can get a slightly different word. What is the difference between the two of them? I found some answers on Japanese sites but reading them I feel like I'm just going through a bunch of synonyms and very similar descriptions. An English answer would really help...

始終(しじゅう) is relatively rare in modern Japanese, except that a four-kanji compound 一部始終 is common. Standalone 始終 mainly appears in stiff literary works as an adverb meaning "all the time". If I heard 始終 in conversation, I might not understand it.

終始(しゅうし) is much more common than 始終. It can also mean "all the time" or "always", but I think it tends to mean "from beginning to end (of a certain event, etc)" more often. 終始 is also a suru-verb. ~に終始する is a common phrase meaning "to do only ~ from beginning to end."

会合は終始よいムードだった。
The meeting was in a good mood from beginning to end.

スピーチの中で、彼は弁解に終始した。
In his speech, he entirely focused on making excuses.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.