I've never come across "の方が格上" before, I'm wondering if it's a set phrase that would describe someone being "out of your league" in terms of power/strength so the implication is that one cannot hope to beat the person in question?

This is the original sentence I saw it in:

ありゃ完全にあっちの方が格上だ

For context A tells B she was wants to get a little revenge on C (C beat her in battle some time ago), B rebukes her with "やめとけよ。ありゃ完全にあっちの方が格上だ"

Going by my assumption it would translate as "let it go. He's on a whole other level."

So is my assumption about ~の方が格上 correct?

I don't think it's a set phrase. The sentence can be translated in the usual fashion.

あっちの方が格上だ

Xの方{ほう}が is used for comparisons (full form is Xの方がYよりZ), here we're just missing the implied [お前]より part. あっち= the third party (C). And 格上 is just "higher rank/status". So,

They are/He is of a higher rank [than you].

Of course, depending on the context, "on a whole other level" may be an acceptable translation as well...

• just a point of english grammar: it's "whole other" though quite a few people say "whole nother". but there isn't a "whole another". – A.Ellett Jul 4 '17 at 19:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.