I am bit lost by the きたんだろう in this sentence.

あれはお前が勝手にしてきたんだろう

something like you do what you want with me? I read somewhere that this きたんだろう means something like the speaker "knows" what to do. but i am totally confused.

Context is king! I'll try to answer your question, but trying to do it without any context is a pain in the neck.

1. だろう is the form of でしょう, which you use when speaking with a person you're familiar with and you can afford to use it.

2. ん is a contraction of の.

These two forms original, dictionary form would be んだ, alternatively のだ or のです. でしょう (or だろう) when linked with の/ん forms sort of rhetorical question. The speaker seeks agreement, he's not really asking the question.

1. te-form + きた indicates that an action has been taking place over some period of time.

2. 勝手にする means "to do something selfishly".

With these 4 points in mind, I believe the right answer to your question would be something along the lines of "I guess, you've been doing that without any regard to anyone or anything, haven't you?!"

• I am sorry. the only context i have the other girl asks something like "do you want to kiss again" and this is his answer. So it means if they do kiss this means a lot of trouble. and in that case he just wanna say she doesn't care about the consequences. だろう and ん explanation really helped me a lot. thank u. i am sorry next time i ask i'll try to give more context – lovelykotori Jul 4 '17 at 15:05
  • While ん is certainly a contraction of の. だろう is definitely not a contraction of でしょう; rather it's a change in formality/politeness, with だろう being the more familiar term and でしょう being the default level of politeness. Otherwise, great answer. – A.Ellett Jul 4 '17 at 16:59
  • @A.Ellett Yes, my bad. That's the type of shortcut my brain has taken, or takes in general, I should say. I'll edit it. – razorramon Jul 4 '17 at 22:10
  • Your interpretation of きた is the least likely the case. It's more like "did it and came back" or "did it to me". – user4092 Jul 5 '17 at 1:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.