So I am reading Dragon Ball in Japanese and I got stuck with this sentence. Goku is looking for food and looks down at a river and says:

よし!久しぶりに魚にしようっと!

which I think means something like

Nice! It's been a while since the last time I ate fish!

So I can understand it by context but I would like somebody to break it down for me and explain to me the use of the two に and especially しようっと. Thank you very much!

• よし in this context is closer to "Okay" or "Alright" said when you've decided something. It's defined as 決意する時に発する声 in this dictionary entry.
  • 久しぶり is a noun that works as a no-adjective (sometimes also as a na-adjective). There is no single-word equivalent in English. This に after 久しぶり is used to turn a na-/no-adjective into an adverb.
    • 久しぶりの休暇 first vacation in a long time
    • 久しぶりに走る to run for the first time in a while

(Note that 休暇 is a noun and 走る is a verb.)

• ~にする is a very common set phrase which has several meanings. In this case, it means "to decide on ~ (from multiple options)" or "to choose".
  • しよう is the volitional form of する.
  • For っと, see What does volitional form + っと mean?
  • That is so helpful. Thank you very much, I will take a look more calmly tomorrow, but now I can understand it way better. That was a great answer :) – jordiri Jul 4 '17 at 3:31
  • 「よし!」を "Nice!" としておられるところもひとつ解説ヨロ♡ (明鏡によると「感動詞。決意する時に発する語」みたいです) – Chocolate Jul 4 '17 at 7:09
  • @Chocolate はいほー☆ – naruto Jul 4 '17 at 7:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.