This question already has an answer here:

So I learned that no/の is used as a possesive noun. For example, Kimi no/君の = "Your" in English. I also learned that it can be used to connect nouns together. So, say kookoo no sensei/高校の先生, means "high school teacher". However, I saw someone say "Pasuta o taberu no ga suki desu/パスタを食べるのが好きです" to mean "I like to eat pasta." So this really confuses me. From what I know, the particle "ga/が" marks the ability of doing something, like "I can eat sushi" while "o/を" is used to say "I eat sushi." So the sentence "Pasuta o taberu no ga suki desu/パスタを食べるのが好きです" really confuses me. Could someone please break it down and explain it for me? (In romaji/ローマ字, as much as you can)

marked as duplicate by Chocolate, Dono, macraf, user3856370, snailboat Jul 2 '17 at 13:45

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

This の is different from the possessive の. It turns a verb phrase into a noun. You're understanding of を and が seems to be a little off. They merely mark the object and subject of a sentence respectively. Maybe this link helps: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/11566/… – user3856370 Jul 1 '17 at 8:11
  • @user3856370 That looks like an answer to me. Why is it a comment? – Joel Rees Jul 1 '17 at 8:26
  • @JoelRees I don't believe my comment answers the question well. The answer is in the link, – user3856370 Jul 1 '17 at 8:28
taberu no ga

would mean 'to eat' because you can add 'no ga' to the 'ru' form of a verb and it would mean 'to do the verb'. This is used like an accusative, meaning that if you want to say 'I like eating' you would say

watashi wa taberu no ga suki desu

This is an alternate use of the 'no' particle quite common in advanced sentences.

Also, keep in mind that when you use the 'no ga' combination, the noun which you like to eat must have the 'wo' particle on it as it would be dative.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.