There is a piece of song lyric I cannot understand: "切ない胸さえ" (せつないむねさえ)

I gathered from this source http://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n3-grammar-さえ-sae/ and others that さえ means "even", which would make this sentence something like "Even a broken heart". But I don't really understand it in context and wonder if perhaps there is another use for it here?

The full lyrics can be found here, for more context: http://www.kasi-time.com/item-38646.html (it's on the 6th line). (Perhaps I do not even understand the surrounding lyrics enough).

Thank you.

This looks like a case of a sentence fragment/phrase used out of grammatical order to supplement the preceding expression (see: is this sentence gramatically correct? "ano ko ga futteita makka na sukaafu")

As far as the whole of the expression goes:

恋は届かない時を 経験するうちに 強くなってゆくものだね 切ない胸さえ

Let's rearrange it a bit:

恋は届かない時を 経験するうちに 切ない胸さえ 強くなってゆくものだね

...my sense of parsing tells me that that phrase actually belongs here.

Part of the reason this might occur is to highlight a specific portion of the lyrics with the music, or to make the lyrics line up with the music, that sometimes 100% perfect standard is changed into another tone.

Alternatively, this happens in speech sometimes, when speaking about a feeling or an action, colloquially, sometimes explaining comes first then does the subject. So, considering the translation, you might look at it as:

恋は届かない時を 経験するうちに 強くなってゆくものだね 切ない胸さえ
The experience of love not reaching (that person) can make you stronger, even (fix/make strong) a broken heart

Sounds a little funny, but in the normal order:

恋は届かない時を 経験するうちに 切ない胸さえ 強くなってゆくものだね
The experience of love not reaching (that person) can make even a broken heart stronger

That sounds a little more like what that's attempting to convey, doesn't it?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.