I know that your can connect to adjectives with the て form, for example,

僕の彼女は美しくて優しいです。 My girfriend is beautiful and kind

but can you follow that て with a continuation of the sentence, for example,

僕の彼女は美しくて僕が醜いなのに、僕が好きです。 My girlfriend is beautiful, and despite my being ugly, she likes me.

醜い is an I-adj, you don't need to put after it. 僕が seems redundant for me... – Dekiru Jun 29 '17 at 5:08
    By the way, Japanese speakers often use a meaningless ~のこと to mark the nominative object of 好き. It serves as a grammatical marker of objecthood. – snailboat Jun 29 '17 at 5:17

Yes, you can. For example, 彼女は優しくて、彼女の母も優しいのに、僕は彼女とは結婚したくない. However you may omit て.

And 僕の彼女は美しくて僕は醜いのに、彼女は僕(のこと)が好きです would be more natural.

• For your examples... Is the saying "My girlfriend is kind, and even though her mother is also kind... I wouldn't want to marry her." the same with "Even though my girlfriend is kind and her mother is also kind, I wouldn't want to marry her."? My point is that does the のに also cover the first sentence [僕の彼女は美しい] [今日は雨が降っている] [彼女は優しい]? – Dekiru Jun 29 '17 at 6:47
  • @Dekiru Yes, it does. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 29 '17 at 6:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.