So was getting my haircut and told them to cut it like the image below, the beautician said something like「。。。メリハリ。。。」and I was wondering what it means...

I did online searches and while the definition (in Japanese) is there, I guess I don't really "get it"...

enter image description here

メリハリ refers to a good contrast between an important/strong/dynamic part and an unimportant/weak/static part.

メリハリがない生活 is a monotonous life. メリハリがついたスピーチをしてください means you should make the important part sound important and avoid a flat tone.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what's 髪型のメリハリ, but I think it basically refers to some complex/dynamic/lively appearance.

メリハリ is usually written in katakana (or sometimes hiragana). Etymologically, めり (滅り) referred to a low-pitched sound and はり (張り) referred to a high-pitched sound. A kango equivalent of メリハリ is 抑揚, but メリハリ is more often used figuratively.

For the hairstyle, based on the picture, I would imagine it points to the contrast between the almost completely shaven sides and the full hair on top of the head. For メリハリ, the best analogy I can think of is music: you need both the notes and the pauses between them to get a melody. If you have only one or the other, you're left with only noise, or only silence. – Philippe Jun 29 '17 at 13:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.