The following sentence: この庭にある大きい石と池は、富士山と海をイメージして造られました。

This イメージして followed by 造られました irritates me. I know of several specific patterns where て form is directly succeeded by another verb like 星が見えてきた but I don't know of any such case with 造る. I've little idea how to understand this phrase.

There's no grammatical problem here. I would translate this as

This garden's large rock and the lake were made to give the impression of Mt Fuji and the sea.

Even in English there is a mixture of passive and active, but there's nothing awkward or ungrammatical about this.

I wouldn't lump this in with constructions like 星が見えてきた。 The てくる form there is a fixed grammatical form. There are other uses of the て-form of verbs which can express reason or purpose. For example,

一所懸命{いっしょうけんめい}勉強{べんきょう}して試験{しけん}を合格{ごうかく}した。

Having studied hard, I passed the exam.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hm, I can see what you mean. But this combination of active て form and passive, resulting in a construction expressing what we would express through a consecutive clause of result, is indeed new to me. Why must my textbook always come up with stuff it hasn't taught me about before -.- Constructions like this would only be possible with nominalization, for example: ...ことに造られた. I don't know if this would be grammatical, but it's the only way I could think up with the grammar Ive learnt so far. – Narktor Jun 28 '17 at 7:53
  • @Narktor I understand the frustration with textbooks. I've been there many times myself. – A.Ellett Jun 28 '17 at 18:36
  • I don't see how you could use the construction ...ことに造られた in this context. To my ear it sounds strange, but then I don't have a native speaker's ear. If you were to try to rephrase it, I might try イメージするために, though even that sounds a bit strange. It'd be nice if a native speaker could chime in on this point. – A.Ellett Jun 28 '17 at 18:40
  • Textbooks can rarely cover everything, especially not in the order the real world throws them at you. I agree with A. Ellet about ことに造られた not working out in that context. If I were to try to rephrase the bit that bothers you, I,d probably flip the sentence around: 富士山と海をイメージをイメージに、この庭にある… – Philippe Jun 29 '17 at 12:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.