I am searching for a book (preferably in Japanese, English also okay) on kanji and / or word etymology. Basically I am looking for something that explains the origin of words, for example: why is 馬鹿 written with horse and deer. Or why does 虹 consists of the insect radical. I know "学研新漢和大字典 普及版", but it's still too hard, so I am looking for something around the level JLPT-2. Children's books are also welcome of course ;) Thanks a lot!

closed as off-topic by broccoli forest, macraf, Dono, Chocolate, user3856370 Jun 30 '17 at 15:37

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions seeking resources or advice about learning Japanese are off-topic here, but you may find our list of resources for learning Japanese helpful." – macraf, Dono, user3856370
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Hello Andrea, You should check the chat for askin things like source materials, you could also take a look at this > japanese.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/756/… – Felipe Oliveira Jun 27 '17 at 13:58
  • Tōdō's dictionary, which you've mentioned, is, I think, the standard scholarly Japanese reference on kanji origins. Be aware that kanji origins are quite disputed and uncertain; Tōdō's proposals are tentative. In my opinion, you should stay away from Shirakawa's books on kanji origins; he's popular in Japan, but, I think, his method is… shall we say, not quite scientific. You can use chineseetymology.org to see the old kanji shapes, but don't trust the descriptions. For word etymology, the Kokugo Daijiten is the big one, but you can always browse gogen-allguide.com . – melboiko Jun 27 '17 at 14:40
    2) All that is above N2 level. I don't know what to offer you at a lower level, but any normal 漢和 dictionary for high-school students (like Ōbunsha's) will have simple kanji explanations (成り立て) with more or less "average" analyses. You can go all the way to children's books, and there's an entire genre of them about linguistic topics; Chibimarukochan alone has books on etymology, kanji and many related topics. I own the first one and I think it's pretty cool actually (but take everything with large grains of salt.) – melboiko Jun 27 '17 at 14:44
  • (late correction: the word often used for analyzes of kanji origins is actually 成り立 not -te.) – melboiko Jun 27 '17 at 15:16

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.