In the middle of Bibara Bibara by Stereopony (lyrics here), there is this weird Katakana "sentence":

ホートトトギスがホーホー

I cannot make any sense of it, but I do see a Hiragana syllable in the middle of Katakana, and it happens to be a particle, which makes me wonder: can this be made any sense of? Is this a meaningful sentence in Japanese? Are the sounds chosen for some reason, or is it just plain "scat"?

Update

I looked stuff up on JEDict and found the following. 蓬々{ほうほう} means "confusedly, perplexedly", and 方法{ほうほう} means "method", while 方途{ほうと} means "path". That is all I can see in there. Well, there is ホトトギス meaning "toad lily" or "cuckoo"… maybe "the toad lilies are confused" with a few extra syllables because why not?

This isn't gibberish. In fact, there's even a clue at the beginning of the video; you can hear a cuckoo clock in the background. ホトトギス is a cuckoo (a bird). I presume that ホーホー is probably just the sound the bird makes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.