In a very formal context, how to answer properly when an unknown person who is hugely higher than you in the hierarchy (a recruiter, an N+3, an official, etc.) invites you to some unexpected event/lunch/interview/ceremony and suggests a date and time which turn out to be OK? I always struggle with this. Actually, I think it is even easier to say politely that the suggested time is not OK.

I refrain from using 大丈夫です or いいです because it seems overly familiar to me. So, most of the time, I end up with such a circumlocution as

どうもありがとうございます。金曜日なら結構です。

just to say ’you proposed Friday, and this is OK’. I don’t know if 都合がよいです or is other sentences with 都合 are OK in this context. I don’t want to end up saying to a minister ’yeah, so you wanna meet me next Monday? I’m quite busy man, but I checked my schedule and it looks rather feasible’.

NB: this is a question about formal and especially formal written Japanese—before anyone says ’you can just send 大丈夫 with the poop emoji and he will understand’, of course he will understand, I agree with this ;-)

You'll want to be careful with 結構です -- it's more often used to politely say "no thank you" than "that's fine", and using it in the latter sense requires some shoring up of the sentence to eliminate any ambiguity.

I don't think you need to mention the time/schedule explicitly. Depending on the relationship and the nature of the invitation, any of the following might do:

• かしこまりました。(Probably most useful when the "invitation" can't really be refused, such as when a recruiter tells you your interview is at 10:00 on Monday.)

• この度はご招待いただき、ありがとうございました。喜んで参加させていただきます。If the difference in status is extreme, you might go with 身に余る光栄でございます。謹んで参加させていただきます, but that would probably be excessive unless the circumstances were very special.

• ◯◯へのご招待、ありがとうございます。是非行かせていただきたいと思います。

Explicitly mentioning that you'll be attending because you're free on the day could imply that you're only going because you've got nothing better to do, so I think you're better off with an appropriately polite version of "Thank you for inviting me. It will be a pleasure to attend." If, for some reason, you must mention the time, I'd suggest phrasing it as a confirmation of the time:

• 金曜日の◯◯時ですね。わかりました。宜しくお願い致します。

Just a few ideas, but you'll need to adapt them, and their level of politeness, to the actual situation (and whether you're speaking or replying in writing).

• @Chocolate Thanks for catching those typos. I proably, er probably, shoudn't try to write detailed answers after a long day at work... – Philippe Jun 26 '17 at 14:24
  • Does saying something like "10日10:00は完璧です。" sound good to accept an interview? – Alexis_FR_JP Feb 21 at 5:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.