I cannot figure out what 「家建てた」 on this tweet means.

「エレクチオン」で家建てた僕の言語能力を舐めちゃいけませン。

Is it a typo for 「打ち立てた」? Or it is a word that Koike Kazuo coined? If so, what does it mean?

I think "made a house" is a little bit strange in the context. (I know the particle を is sometimes omitted.

1 Answer 1

Just from reading the Wikipedia article, it seems that using the word エレクチオン can be considered a trademark of Koike Kazuo's writing (as is using katakana ン where usual orthography would demand hiragana ん).

In the tweet, he is simply saying that he "made a career" out of (using) エレクチオン, so one shouldn't make fun of / underestimate his language abilities.

家(を)建てた literally just means "built a house" and could indeed be taken literal, or as a metaphor for "made a living".

The particle を is often omitted in colloquial speech (here writing).

• So he said he succeeded by his language abilities? Because he is a comic artist (not a writer), the answer seems unreasonable for me...
    – Dim
    Jun 25, 2017 at 13:19
    @Dim Wikipedia says he is a 漫画原作者、小説家、脚本家、作詞家、作家 (comic artist/writer, novelist, playwright, songwriter and author). In any case, if his writing is known for following a particular style, he doesn't seem to just to draw, but also use language. This is what he seems to refer to in his tweet.
    – Earthliŋ
    Jun 25, 2017 at 15:16
  • There are other ways to read 家 that can be useful here: either as "home" or "family". In this context, I think reading 家を建てる as "build a home" can facilitate understanding how this can be read more broadly as "make a living".
    – A.Ellett
    Jun 25, 2017 at 17:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .