I cannot figure out what 「家建てた」 on this tweet means.

「エレクチオン」で家建てた僕の言語能力を舐めちゃいけませン。

Is it a typo for 「打ち立てた」? Or it is a word that Koike Kazuo coined? If so, what does it mean?

I think "made a house" is a little bit strange in the context. (I know the particle を is sometimes omitted.

Just from reading the Wikipedia article, it seems that using the word エレクチオン can be considered a trademark of Koike Kazuo's writing (as is using katakana ン where usual orthography would demand hiragana ん).

In the tweet, he is simply saying that he "made a career" out of (using) エレクチオン, so one shouldn't make fun of / underestimate his language abilities.

家(を)建てた literally just means "built a house" and could indeed be taken literal, or as a metaphor for "made a living".

The particle を is often omitted in colloquial speech (here writing).

• So he said he succeeded by his language abilities? Because he is a comic artist (not a writer), the answer seems unreasonable for me... – Dim Jun 25 '17 at 13:19
    @Dim Wikipedia says he is a 漫画原作者、小説家、脚本家、作詞家、作家 (comic artist/writer, novelist, playwright, songwriter and author). In any case, if his writing is known for following a particular style, he doesn't seem to just to draw, but also use language. This is what he seems to refer to in his tweet. – Earthliŋ Jun 25 '17 at 15:16
  • There are other ways to read 家 that can be useful here: either as "home" or "family". In this context, I think reading 家を建てる as "build a home" can facilitate understanding how this can be read more broadly as "make a living". – A.Ellett Jun 25 '17 at 17:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.