The concept of "attacking" is a vary broad one, with a lot of nuance to it. What are the most common/practical words used to describe attacking in Japanese; and what are the nuances to each?

Also, I'm specifically talking about physical attacks; like cutting, stabbing, clawing, punching, smashing, striking, impaling, etc. Not things like fraud, or taunting, or other things that be considered a form of attacking. in some other sense of the word.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Tirous, macraf, Chocolate, Dono, broccoli forest Jun 25 '17 at 6:12

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

a dictionary might just do the trick. that's what people used to use in the days before the web. or perhaps you could enlighten us why a dictionary won't suffice. – A.Ellett Jun 24 '17 at 2:32
  • The problem is that dictionaries don't delve into the nuances of what each word is trying to describe; or give any info as to context, culture, or other nuances. – Tirous Jun 24 '17 at 2:34
  • i'd suggest reading the example sentences to get a feel for the words. printed dictionaries are much better at filling in those details than the on-line versions currently available. though i have to say my dictionary that comes with my macbook air is very useful. what nuance are you after? – A.Ellett Jun 24 '17 at 2:38
  • Actually... this question sucks; not sure y i asked. plz close, unsure... :( – Tirous Jun 24 '17 at 2:43
    Without context, I don't think I can do a job better than a dictionary... – naruto Jun 24 '17 at 5:31

i want to share my opinion about your question.
there are a lot of words refer to attack but, ill explain some.

First ill share verbs that refer to attack.

切る   (きる)    Cutting. (but its refer to general cutting.)
刺す   (さす)    Stabbing, Impaling, Pierce, etc.
引っ掻く (ひっかく) Clawing.
殴る   (なぐる)   Punching, Hit.
撃つ   (うつ)    Shoot (gun,Cannon,etc), Defeat, Destroy, etc.
打つ   (うつ)    Striking, Smashing, Punching, Slap, etc.

Im not sure its right or wrong, but i try to help and thats what i get for studying japanese.
Feel free to correct me.

You're missing at least three [襲]{おそ}う, [叩]{たた}く, [攻]{せ}める – virmaior Jun 24 '17 at 4:19
    ^ 攻撃する is also common. You'd also use 暴力をふるう depending on context. – Chocolate Jun 24 '17 at 4:45
  • ^^ yeah there plenty words refer to attack but, he want specific answer so i just share my daily uses to answer his questions. – Dreadhis Jun 24 '17 at 4:52
    my daily uses. What exactly do you during a day? – virmaior Jun 24 '17 at 6:13
  • ^ 私も思いましたwww -- – Chocolate Jun 24 '17 at 6:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.