I accidentally typed "zh" using the Japanese IME on macOS Sierra. Surprisingly, "zh" turned into a "←" character! Why does it do this? I would have expected it to produce just "zh", like it does with other two consecutive consonants: "kr" is "kr", "mn" is "mn". Why is "zh" a left arrow?

I did some guessing and thought that the "h" must stand for 左, that's why it's a left arrow and not a right one. Then I tried "zm", thinking that it would give me a right arrow because "m" stands for 右, it didn't.

I am so confused. What does "zh" stand for? Why a left arrow? How do I do a right one?

Note: the left arrow is U+2190 "LEFTWARDS ARROW"

• I think this question may suit more on Ask different or somewhere. – broccoli forest Jun 25 '17 at 4:05

I can't tell you about the wherefore but that seems to be a shortcut associated with the letter z + hjkl-directional keys. Moreover this doesn't work with all IME (but it can be reproduced with Google IME, you can try that on Google Translate website)

enter image description here

I dug a bit more and here a list of keys that goes with the z-mod key.

• ZH   ← (左矢印)
  • ZJ   ↓ (下矢印)
  • ZK   ↑ (上矢印)
  • ZL   → (右矢印)
  • Z,(コンマ)   ‥ (二点リーダ)
  • Z.(ピリオド)   … (三点リーダ)
  • Z/   ・ (中点)
  • Z[   『 (始め二重かぎ括弧)
  • Z]   』 (終わり二重かぎ括弧)
  • Z-   ~ (波ダッシュ)

Source

That is fascinating. For those unfamiliar with it, the hjkl keys, aka 'Vi keys', are used in a bunch of oldschool software such as Vi-style text editors and roguelike text-mode games. I can confirm zh,zj,zk,zl also work in the Japanese Anthy input method on Linux. – melissa_boiko Jun 23 '17 at 10:38
  • Do you think Z stand for anything? – Sweeper Jun 23 '17 at 10:50
    @Sweeper I don't have a clue. The only things I know is that zh (etc.) stands for scroll left in Vim so they may took the inspiration from that. – 永劫回帰 Jun 23 '17 at 10:58
  • うわ本当だ、全然知りませんでした! – naruto Jun 23 '17 at 11:48
    I've avoided うえ・した because I want to type 上・下 more often than their arrow symbol and on the other hand the actual arrows more often that spelling out "arrow symbol". As for ≒, it's behind = in Mozc/Google IME along with ≠ but I can't test Baidu IME right now. You could probably edit your romaji table and add something like "z=" for ≒. – siikamiika Jun 23 '17 at 17:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.