Professor A asked you to go to his room.

A先生があなたを先生の部屋に行ってほしいです。

Is it OK? I feel it is not quite natural.

Similarly, how to say "Professor A hopes you can concentrate on the XX research."

A先生があなたをXX研究に集中してほしいです。

Your sentences are not quite grammatical for the following reasons.

After fixing them, you'll get:

• A先生があなたに先生の部屋に行って欲しがっています。
  • A先生はあなたにXX研究に集中して欲しがっています。

Although naruto covered the grammatical aspects, I disagree with his answer insofar as I don't think 欲しい/欲しがる would be used in these cases.

For your first sentence, my choice of phrasing would depend on whether it's important to explicitly mention the room. If it isn't, then a simple

A先生があなたを呼んでいます。("Professor A is asking for you.")

If mentioning the room is important, then something along the lines of

A先生は研究室へ行くようにとおっしゃっていました。("Professor A said you have to go to his office.")

(Adjusting the ◯◯室 as appropriate for the actual type of room; 部屋 is likely to be misinterpreted as the professor's apartment).

In your second example, I'd favour the てもらう construction:

A先生はあなたにXX研究に集中してもらいたいとおっしゃっていました。("Professor A said he wants you to focus on (the) XX research.")

Obviously, this differs a lot from your initial attempts, but I think it's unlikely that 欲しい/欲しがる would be used in the situations presented in your sentences.

There are, of course, a number of possible ways to express the general idea, but the ones I present here are the ones I come across in the workplace on a regular basis (substituting an upper level manager for the professor).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.