This question already has an answer here:

The word 生徒(せいと) means "pupil", but what exactly is/was a 生徒 in Japanese culture? And how is a 生徒 different from a 学生? And in what context would you use the word?

marked as duplicate by naruto, macraf, Community Jun 22 '17 at 5:45

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

According to my Japanese dictionary, 広辞林, the two words are defined as follows:

• 生徒 -- refers to a student receiving an education from a fixed location such as in middle or high school or from under a tutor etc.   

中高等大学校または家塾その他、一定の場所で教育を受ける人。

• 学生 -- refers to a someone who attends classes, but in particular someone who studies at university.

学業をおさめるもの。特に、大学に学ぶ者。大学生。

From this it seems that 学生 is the more general term covering a wider range of students including those in the category of 生徒. As @naruto pointed out in the comments, 学生 isn't quite as general as those definitions might leave one to think (now I'm a bit disappointed in my dictionary). Apparently, 生徒 is the more appropriate terms for a student taking a culinary class, or swimming lessons, or studying martial arts, and I would therefor imagine a number of other things.

• ありがとうございます! bows like a gaijin – Tirous Jun 22 '17 at 2:03
    学生 is not necessarily more generic because one can only use 生徒 in 料理教室の生徒 or スイミングスクールの生徒. – naruto Jun 22 '17 at 2:37
  • So... 生徒 is used for students in an education system that isn't part of the standardised education system and isn't something like martial arts where a different word is used? Is that it, more or less? – Tirous Jun 22 '17 at 2:59
    You can safely use 生徒 for schools of martial arts. – naruto Jun 22 '17 at 3:31
    Yes, where there's a 先生, there's a 生徒 :-) – naruto Jun 22 '17 at 17:37

I would say that 学生 strongly infer that it is a pupil in a school, while 生徒 is simply a "pupil", someone who learns from someone.

There are many terms for students depending on the situation(school, martial arts, beginner, expert, etc), but pupil really feels like it fits for them all.

In the Japanese school system, it depends on whether you go to elementary school, junior/high school, or university.

Kindergarten or daycare - 園児
Elementary school - 児童
Junior high or high school - 生徒
University - 学生

Source:

https://www.nhk.or.jp/bunken/summary/kotoba/gimon/143.html

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.