I'm trying to translate one of the Japanese stories (currently this one: 節分の鬼) to get better understanding of the language (as I'm still a beginner, but stubborn) and the whole thing was going smoothly until this part:

「んだ、んだ。こんなうれしい事はねえ。まんずあたらしてけろ」 と、ズカズカと家に入り込んで来ました。

I just cannot grasp this particular sentence: まんずあたらしてけろ.

Before asking for help I've searched throughout the web but with little luck, apart from てけろ which, after some digging, I'm kinda convince it is a dialectical version of てください. According to Google Translate (not a great source) the meaning of the sentence is 'Make sure to warm up'. Sounds right by a long shot, considering the previous sentences in the story.

Can anyone help me with breaking this apart? I begin to think this is really all about being cold but it just doesn't click for me still (maybe because of it being some dialect thing or a fixed phrase?)...

• まんず is a dialectal way of saying まず ("first of all", "before anything").
  • ~てけろ is ~てください in Tohoku dialect.
  • あたらす is a causative form of あたる. (See "shortened causative form" here)
  • あたる in this context is 火にあたる ("to get warm by the fire"). 火に is omitted. See the definition 1㋒ in this entry.

So in standard Japanese, the sentence is まず(火に)あたらせてください, which is translated as "Let me get warm first" or "First of all, allow me to get warm".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.