Normally, when I see ~ことになる I translate it as "it is / has been decided that ~". However, in these few sentences the usage of ことになる is rather peculiar:

次期OS(ウインドウズ)の発売に合わせてパソコンを買い換えたいのですが、いつですか? 来年後半らしいけど、延びる可能性もあるかもね。だから2年位待つことになるかな。

It's a snippet from BCCWJ, yahoo database. I am unsure if it's a dialogue or monologue (speaker contemplating the possibility of Windows being delayed) or what the exact function of ことになる is in the third sentence.

I translated the whole thing as:

"I'd like to buy a new computer along with new release of OS (Windows), but when? It seems it'll be released by the half of the next year, but there's a possibility it'll be delayed. I'll wait for about 2 years."

There's nothing particularly peculiar about ~ことになる in your snippet. That expression isn't limited to decisions, it simply expresses the logical result or consequence of a given action or state of affairs.

In your snippet, the polite phrasing at the end of the question suggests a dialogue, so I'd translate it as:

I'd like to buy a new computer along with the next OS (Windows) release. When will that be? It's apparently coming out in the latter half of next year, but it could be delayed, so I guess you might end up waiting about two years.

The ことになる simply expresses that a delay in the release will result in a wait of about two years.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.