I was asked by my teacher to read a kid friendly manga, something easy to start with.

I am not having issue with the vocabulary and I understand the general gist of a sentence but I am having issue with "why" is the sentence constructed that way.

そういえばほかのボールがどこにあるかもわからないのにどうやって探すんだ?

So what I get from this is :

Come to think of it how are we going to find the place, that I don't know, where the ball is.

But I am a bit confused grammar-wise with two things :

あるかも

and

わからないのに

These are my best guesses :

あるかも -> か is to show that the character is asking where is the place of the ball

も is used here to say the character doesn't know anything about it

わからないのに -> に say that the previous part of the sentence is where they need to look

の I really have no idea why a no would be here

Thank you for your help !

The sentence can be roughly divided into three parts:

そういえば、{ほかのボールがどこにあるか}もわからないのに、どうやって探すんだ?

Come to think of it, how can we find (it) when we don't even know where the other balls are?

I don't know what exactly they are searching for from this context. Maybe they are searching for something which is related to 'the other balls'.

• So I wasn't far off but I'm happy to have the complete explanation and link to answers. Thank you – rXp Jun 21 '17 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.