I was reading an answer on Yahoo! Chiebukuro about Nichijou series. In the answer, the poster quoted an excerpt from a light novel Nichijou no Shousetsu. It's about a tale of Momotaro being played by Nichijou characters.

さて、さるをお供にしたももたろうが、元気良く鬼が島に歩いて行くと、その途中で、今度は犬が現れました。
「……!」
「……!」
しかも、戦っています。
しかと、戦っています。
いぬ役の校長先生が、役をほっぽり出して、しかと戦っています。校長先生、出番ですよー!
[中略]
「な、なんでしかと戦っているのー!?」
このおじさんが校長先生だと知らないももたろうは、あわてるばかり。
たしかに、街中でいぬとしか(1)が戦っていたら、誰だってびっくりします。

I could understand the overall meaning, but having a doubt on bolded sentence. When I was reading it the first time, I translated the bolded sentence as:

然も【しかも】、戦っています。
Moreover, he is fighting.

確と【しかと】、戦っています。
Certainly, he is fighting.

However, when I reached (1), I realized that I might be mistranslating しか since 鹿【しか】 (deer) was more likely.

In the end, I translated them as

然も、戦っています。
Moreover, he is fighting.

鹿と、戦っています。
He is fighting with a deer.

One thing that made me doubtful was, as far as I know, there was no deer in Momotarou. However, I heard that there are alternative versions with different companies, so it might be just another variation that Nichijou created.

Also, I didn't translate しかも as 鹿も because it's the first time the deer was introduced, and there was no fighting introduced beforehand (in this excerpt).

Am I correct in translating those sentences? (I realized that the redacted excerpt might remove some important context, but it's beyond my control)

I think your translation is good.

I think this was played on a street where there were deers because the content says that いぬ役の校長先生が、役をほっぽり出して、しかと戦っています(The school headmaster is fighting with a deer, forgetting his part as a dog) and 街中で(on a street). This 鹿 would not be related to the content of Momotaro.

| improve this answer | |
    I suspect the author was being deliberately ambiguous and wrote しか in hiragana to try to keep the reader wondering as long as possible. – Philippe Jun 19 '17 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.